The process for approaching a primary source is similar to the close read of any informational text. In the case of handwritten historical documents, transcription and translation are also needed.
- Teacher reads the text out loud as the students follow along
- Students re-read the text in pairs, transcribing short sections in a joint Google document
- Students translate their transcription into their own words
- The class re-reads their translation of the entire document
- Teacher guides discussion of parts of the text with a series of specific vocabulary and text-dependent questions and tasks
VIDEO: Example of Transcribing and Translating Primary Source Text (High School)